Do I need an attorney?
If you consider, the average person will be involved in 6 car accidents in his or her lifetime, it is critical to find representation to preserve your quality of life.
According to accident victims:
50% still had pain when discharged from the hospital
33% still had pain a year after the accident
Many also noted serious issues with motor, language, and thinking skills a year later.
What should I do following an accident?
- Take a deep breath and stay calm.
- Check for injuries; call an ambulance when in doubt.
- If accident is minor, move cars to a safe place, out of traffic.
- Turn on your vehicles hazard lights and use cones, warning triangles or flares for safety.
- Call the police, even if the accident is minor.
- Notify your insurance agent immediately.
Should I talk to their insurance company?
No. Work only with your insurance company. If you say the wrong thing to the other company, you could cut yourself out of any settlement and leave your insurance company liable for something that they might not be liable for.
How long do I have to file claim?
With any claim, you will want to report the incident ASAP. When I’ve had incidents, I’ve always done it the same day. Anyhow, your specific policy will let you know how long you have, and it’s usually 30 to 60 days depending on the crrier. At any rate, you will want to contact your own insurance first and they should then contact the at-fault’s carrier, unless you lack insurance which is completely dumb in the first place. The reason you will want to report ASAP is because most insurance companies require that you “keep the car from further incidents and damage” until the claim is settled and/or filed. The reason for this is to prevent fraud.
Will I have to go to court?
Going to court can be an added source of stress for accident victims. In fact, that is why some people decide to not make a claim at all. The hassle of attending a court date while trying to navigate the complexities that come with being an accident victim can often be too much. Fortunately, there is some good news for those looking to make an accident claim.
Most accident claims do not actually go to court. Yes, you read that last sentence correctly. Approximately only 15% of claims are actually taken to court, while the other 85% are settled by injury lawyers outside the courtroom.